Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Two little girls, one doctor, and some shots...

Monday was going to be a rough day no matter how it started. So, why would it start smoothly? Ayden and Kylee both had checkups with Dr. Miranda at 2:30. That meant I had to leave here at about 1:15 to allow for traffic and the like.

I had to feed, dress, and bathe both girls. Kylee got up at 9:30 and wanted to eat immediately. Ayden got up at about 10 and wanted cereal. She, of course wanted to go back to sleep because she said she didn't get enough rest. I kept trying to get her to the bathroom and she kept finding excuses not to go. Most excuses revolved around her being too tired and not getting enough sleep.

I finally got her into the tub. She wasn't happy. Everything I did was wrong. I let the water out and left Ayden to play and went to fill Kylee's bath water in her little sink mounted tub. I dressed Ayden and combed her hair then bathed Kylee. I dressed her and it was time for another bottle. 12:45, right on schedule. I finished feeding Kylee and started getting the girls ready to go out the door. Ayden was putting her shoes on while I was putting Kylee in the car seat. She asked me if she had her shoe on the right foot. I told her to switch it. I assumed that she did, since she always does. I looked as I was asking her to grab Baby Sissy's passy off of the chair and she had both shoes on the wrong feet.

I asked her why. She said I had told her to put them on those feet. Sure. It took several minutes to get this situation under control. It was almost a Level 3 Ayden Meltdown. We got that straightened out and I was still attempting to get Kylee in the car seat. I kept asking Ayden to grab the passy. I finally got Kylee in the car seat and started toward the chair. Ayden jumped in front of me, headed for the chair. I almost knocked her down, tried to grab her, and ended up smacking her in the face. She grabbed her face and just looked at me in disbelief. If I hadn't felt so bad about it, it would have been comical.

April had a faculty meeting, so she didn't know if she would make it to the appointment. Since both girls would be getting shots; Ayden was getting one, and Kylee was getting 3, I thought it would be wise to get someone to go along to help. I stopped by and picked mom up from her office. I didn't have any Infant Tylenol so I stopped and Ran in CVS to pick some up. We always gave Ayden Tylenol before shots and it seemed to help. We gave her and Kylee a dose yesterday.

Ayden weighed 33 lbs and was 36 1/2 inches tall. Kylee weighed 11 pounds and was 22 inches long. We had been guessing that Kylee weighed around eight to eight and a half ponds. Boy, were we wrong.

We had opted to deny the chicken pox immunization for Ayden. Research was showing a lot of females that had received the vaccine were getting chicken pox while they were pregnant which is really harmful for the fetus. It was also being found that if children received the vaccine did contract chicken pox later in life it would usually be severe enough to mutate into shingles.

But, wouldn't you know it, the law has changed. In order to start Kindergarten, children now have to have the chicken pox immunization. It is two doses. She had to have the first one yesterday. She overheard the nurse and went into DEFCON 1. Total armed readiness. She watched Kylee get all three shots. She held her hand and petted her head. She was great. Kylee screamed for a total of about 1 minute. For all three shots combined. As soon as Kylee stopped, Ayden started. It was very loud. If we hadn't been at a doctor's office, I'm sure I would have went to jail for child abuse. And I didn't even touch her. By this time Kylee had went to sleep.

I had to hold Ayden down for the nurse, not only did she get a shot she got a Flu Mist. It is a mist up the nose. Boy, she liked this less than the shot. If that is possible. It took some petting, really soothing talk, promise of chicken nuggets, a Pinwheel, 2 packs of Smarties, and a My Little Pony Sticker to even get her to walk and stop screaming. She takes this after her mommy.

We hadn't gone two blocks toward mom's office and both girls were sleeping soundly. Ayden slept until we got home and Kylee slept until about 6:30. She only ate three times yesterday. She even slept through the night. She is running temperature from the shots and is a little cranky. She slept until 11:00 this morning. She has only eaten twice. It is odd to see her so cranky. She is like Ayden in that respect. Always happy and sweet. Not usually in a bad mood.

2 comments:

  1. Oh how well I remember my sister-in-law talking me into going with her when the boys needed their shots!!! I had the oldest one and had to hold him down - he was about three - he looked at me and said "Oh Aunt Sue, please no, let's go!!!!!" Not sure he ever forgave me or not! :):) Yes he did, but it hurt me just as much as it did him. We feel your pain as you take the girls to the doctor!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, we are not getting the chicken pox vaccine...another reason we are homeschooling. I know not everyone agrees with us about homeschooling and that's OK. I guess I am pretty much a libertarian type that is sick of the gov'ment telling me what I HAVE to do with my child. *Stepping off the insane soapbox, thank you!*

    Sounds like you had a doozy of a Monday. Hope the rest of the week is better! :)

    ReplyDelete